Anti-Life is a mystical force important to the New Gods. It is associated with slavery and degradation, and is opposed to the Source. The Anti-Life Equation is a means of spreading Anti-Life, robbing those exposed to it of their free will. According to Gretchen Goode, the equation is "
Life − Free Will = Anti-Life".
Darkseid and the New Gods of Apokolips are considered gods of Anti-Life. Darkseid has been pursuing the Anti-Life Equation for centuries in hopes of using it to control an army to conquer the galaxy.
In 2019, Gretchen Goode came to believe that Halo, exposed to the Ghost Dimension, is the key to the Anti-Life Equation, which she phrases as "
Ghost Dimension + Halo = Anti-Life". Halo is connected to the Source of All Life due to having a Motherbox's soul. However, being trapped in an organic body means she lacks the technological safeguards that Metron installed into the non-organic Motherboxes and Fatherboxes. This allows the Ghost Dimension to "repolarise" the healing energy coming from Halo's violet aura into Anti-Life. Anyone exposed to her Anti-Life aura loses their free will, obeying any command given by whoever exposed them to Anti-Life, no matter how much they may hate it. The effect persists even after exposure to the aura ends.
On January 26, 2019, Granny Goodness used Halo, under the control of a cerebral leash, and a device that could spread the Ghost Dimension over vast areas to place much of the Justice League and the Team under the Equation. Before she could do any more, Vic Stone freed Halo, who in turn was able to figure out how to use her auras to destroy the Ghost Dimension and reverse the effect of the Equation. The League and Team then destroyed Granny's device. With Halo now able to cleanse the Equation, Darkseid would be forced to find other means to apply it.
In the DC comics, the Anti-Life Equation is a theory developed by Darkseid after he learned of the Martian concept of the "Life Equation". Supposedly, the Anti-Life Equation mathematically proves that hope, love, and freedom are all meaningless; exposure to the equation effectively destroys a person's free will. Darkseid finally succeeded in figuring out the Anti-Life Equation, and tried to release it over the Internet during the Final Crisis.
- Robinson, Andrew (writer) & Chang, Michael (director) (November 11, 2011). "Disordered". Young Justice. Season 1. Episode 17. Cartoon Network.
- Fogel, Rich (writer) & Berkeley, Christopher (director) (August 13, 2019). "Antisocial Pathologies". Young Justice. Season 3. Episode 22. DC Universe.
- Vietti, Brandon (writer) & Berkeley, Christopher (director) (January 18, 2019). "Evolution". Young Justice. Season 3. Episode 7. DC Universe.
- Vietti, Brandon (writer) & Zwyer, Mel (director) (August 20, 2019). "Terminus". Young Justice. Season 3. Episode 23. DC Universe.
- Callan, Jonathan (writer) & Heuck, Vinton (director) (August 27, 2019). "Into the Breach". Young Justice. Season 3. Episode 24. DC Universe.