On his news show, G. Gordon Godfrey speaks out on a new communication satellite that is being launched to improve communications between Earth and Mars. He disdainfully discusses the topic and asks why the people of Earth want to improve communications when aliens are already trying to invade them. He then embarks on a trip to Cape Canaveral to enquire further details of the satellite.
Nightwing is performing CPR on Artemis, but after reaching 30 heart pumps with no reaction, he stops to announce her dead.
Nightwing is speaking to Mal Duncan and Superboy in the Cave about Impulse and the original Speedy. Mal believes that Bart and Roy are both going to become the Team's responsibility, but Nightwing disagrees saying that Bart is in the care of Jay and Joan Garrick, and Roy is being watched over by Green and Red Arrow at Royal Memorial Hospital in Star City. Mal still believes that they will end up the Team's responsibility, and Superboy agrees adding that everything becomes their responsibility. Nightwing reveals that they have not gained any information regarding the Light's new partner.Miss Martian enters with Lagoon Boy and she tells him that he will choke if he doesn't slow down eating the crab cakes she has made for him. Superboy is about to leave, but Artemis Zetas into the Cave and is greeted by everyone there. Gamma squad then begins its briefing. The team has to go into covert ops, and guard the rocket launch in Cape Canaveral. Nightwing mentions that the rocket could be attacked by people who dislike the idea of interplanetary communications, and Miss Martian is visibly upset at that. Artemis consoles her by saying that there are also many people who support the contact. Mal questions Nightwing about why he is going on the mission and Nightwing responds that, after leading the Team for a year, he needs some action again.
Under the waterline, Black Manta's ship maneuvers in position, and drops a missile launch station. Kaldur'ahm and the Manta Troopers target the rocket above the water, and prepare to fire the first missile.
Inside the space center, Thomas Kalmaku tells Ferris that there are fifty-two minutes left in the countdown, and all systems are ready for launch.
In the nearby watchtower, Nightwing tells Artemis he's glad to have her back on the Team. She agrees with him, though both are aware of Wally's objections over it.
Aboard the Bio-Ship, Miss Martian and Superboy argue about their past relationship. He reminds her that they broke up because she has been abusing her powers and ripping into the minds of others, leaving them comatose. Miss Martian claims that the information she has gained is helping them, but Superboy believes she is behaving no better than Psimon. Miss Martian asks Superboy why he hasn't informed Nightwing or the Justice League and he says he hoped to matter enough to her to make her stop, but didn't imagine she would attempt to temper with his memories. Miss Martian apologizes, but Superboy questions whether she is truly sorry for what she did or that she was caught doing it. Superboy goes on to say how deeply hurt he still is by her actions, causing Miss Martian to tear up.
Lagoon Boy discovers the missile platform and wants to attack the troopers, but Nightwing orders him to wait for back up. Superboy volunteers to take a rebreather and assist underwater, but angers Lagoon Boy by calling him a rookie. Lagoon Boy fakes radio static (which Nightwing notes is impossible over a psychic link) and attacks. This alerts Manta's troops to their presence, and they set in motion their next stage. A team of Manta Troopers invades the beach. Artemis and Nightwing descend to the ground to confront them, but are pinned behind the rocket's blast wall.
Nightwing contacts Superboy, and wants him to join Lagoon Boy. Since La'gaan did not restock the rebreathers, Miss Martian has to go instead. Superboy uses the Bio-Ship to provide cover for Nightwing and Artemis.
Ferris and Kalmaku, working in the launch room, become aware of the battle ensuing outside. Artemis tries to advance from her cover, and almost gets shot. Nightwing informs Artemis of him being worried about her and the shape she's in.
Lagoon Boy continues to attack the ship underwater, but he is apprehended by Kaldur'ahm, who knocks him out with his electrokinesis. Kaldur then orders the trooper manning the missile launch platform to fire the missile.
Superboy shoots down the first missile before it can reach the rocket. In response, Carol Ferris decides to speed up the countdown, bringing it down to two minutes.
As another missile launches and fails to destroy the rocket, Artemis and Nightwing realize they're in danger, as they are in the rocket engine's blast radius. The troopers fire forces them to stay behind the wall. Artemis fires a flare arrow to obscure the vision of the troopers, as their helmets are designed to enhance underwater vision, and are sensitive to light. The flare arrow blinds the troopers temporarily. Nightwing and Artemis use this cover to jump over the wall and directly attack the Manta Troopers.
La'gaan is taken to Kaldur'ahm to be killed, but Kaldur says they should keep him alive for the Partner. After being notified of the defeat of the ground forces, Kaldur decides to take command himself. He instructs his troops to launch all missiles.More missiles are launched, and Superboy is having a hard time trying to destroy all of them before they reach the rocket. Nightwing and Artemis continue to attack the assault team, and Kaldur joins the battle
Miss Martian reaches the platform and sees Lagoon Boy is captured. She wants to go in to save him, but Superboy tells her that she has to take care of the missiles first, and that there are too many missiles for him to keep up with. M'gann uses telekinesis to stun the Manta Troopers and redirect a missile back towards the platform, completely destroying it. She is knocked out in the explosion and the Manta-Flyer escapes.
Kaldur'ahm attacks Nightwing and Artemis, despite Artemis trying to convince him otherwise. He uses his hydrokinesis to create a serpent-like water being, and attacks his former teammates with it.
The rocket launches, and the technicians celebrate. Kaldur'ahm, outside, is disappointed by this development. He tells his troopers the mission still could succeed. He shoots a small missile at the rocket, but Artemis intercepts it with an arrow. Kaldur then charges at Artemis. Nightwing tries to counter him, but he is knocked aside by one of Kaldur's water hammers. He disarms Artemis, and stabs her in the chest with a water sword.As he pulls the sword out and retreats, Nightwing quickly grabs Artemis and lays her on the ground. Kaldur'ahm informs his men to move out, and that the mission was a failure. However, as he says this, the rocket explodes in the air. The technicians from Ferris Aircraft and Ferris herself look at it in shock. Kaldur'ahm is surprised as well, and escapes back into the water.
Nightwing attempts to resuscitate Artemis. Superboy and Miss Martian arrive; Superboy tells Nightwing he can't hear Artemis's heartbeat. Nightwing continues to administer CPR, but when he reaches 30 heart pumps still with no reaction, he stops to announce her dead.
The Manta-Flyer docks within the Manta-Sub. Black Manta greets Kaldur'ahm and congratulates him for capturing an Atlantean, killing his former teammate, and destroying the Martian communcation satellite. Kaldur'ahm remarks that his team was not responsible for the satellite's destruction, believing that the rocket had instead malfunctioned. Black Manta reveals that the satellite was destroyed by an altitude-sensing bomb smuggled onto the rocket days prior to launch. He explains that the mission was a test to determine if Kaldur'ahm would account for his faults in the case of failure; Kaldur'ahm had passed, much to the satisfaction of his father.
Members of the Team, past and present, gather in the Cave to mourn the death of Artemis. Miss Martian is especially distraught; Superboy wants to comfort her, but Beast Boy shows up instead. Superboy keeps his distance. Mal Duncan and Karen Beecher ask Superboy where Nightwing is. Superboy responds by telling them that he went to tell Wally what happened.
The title may refer to the depths beneath the sea, where Kaldur'ahm launched his attack on the com-sat. It may also refer to Kaldur'ahm's deep cover mission to infiltrate the Light. Finally, it may also refer to the depths of which Nightwing sunk into to ensure a successful infiltration—by lying to the Team and the League, and faking Artemis's death through the use of a heartbeat-stopping pill and a strategically-placed blood squib.
Cast and characters
- Artemis mentions Kid Flash "wearing the yellow and red" a few weeks ago. This happened in "Bloodlines".
- Some members of the League are still away facing trial, after leaving Earth in "Alienated".
- Nightwing discusses the prospects of taking responsibility for Impulse and Speedy with Mal Duncan and Superboy. This refers to events in the previous episode, "Bloodlines", where Speedy was rescued from cryo-hibernation and Impulse arrived from forty years in the future.
- This episode shows an improvement in Miss Martian's shape-shifting over the last five years, as she was shown to shape-shift into Martian Manhunter quite adequately here after claiming that males were harder for her in "Welcome to Happy Harbor".
- While dressed up in Superman's costume, Superboy states that he hates monkey suits, which alludes to his aversion to monkeys, which he developed in "Monkey Business".
- The reason for the break-up between Superboy and Miss Martian is revealed; it was hinted at in "Happy New Year", "Earthlings" and "Alienated". Superboy also mentions Miss Martian's questionable use of powers on her enemies, which results in the victims being put into catatonic states, as seen in "Image", "Earthlings" and "Alienated".
- In this episode, Miss Martian takes the mermaid form that she took in "Under the Surface..." and "...Here There be Monsters".
- Nightwing takes a look at the picture he took with Artemis on her first day at Gotham Academy, as shown in "Homefront".
- The true reason that Aqualad is with Black Manta is finally revealed in this episode.
- Nightwing mentions Aqualad's difficult choice to save the Kroloteans or his friends from the alien bomb, as shown in "Alienated".
- Nightwing refers to a history between him and Zatanna, which could have started after the events of "Auld Acquaintance".
"Depths" garnered an average of 1.890 million viewers.
- Impulse is now living with Jay and Joan Garrick; this is similar to Bart's comic counterpart, who moved in with the Garricks after his original guardian and mentor Max Mercury disappeared into the Speed Force.
- This episode is featured on Young Justice: Invasion – Destiny Calling: Season 2 Part 1.
- This episode is featured in Young Justice Enhanced with a commentary track by Brandon Vietti, Greg Weisman and Stephanie Lemelin.
- In the very beginning of the episode, when Wally is talking to Artemis he turns his head and his eyebrows are miscolored black.
- Superboy refers to Lagoon Boy as "the rebound guy from the Black Lagoon", referencing to the 1954 monster horror film Creature from the Black Lagoon, starring Richard Carlson and Julia Adams. The title character, known as "The Creature" or "Gill-man", possessed amphibious physical traits like Lagoon Boy.
- For complete answers to the questions in this section, click here.
- Where did the Manta Troopers take Lagoon Boy? (Answer)
- Why did Artemis leave with Aqualad at the end, and where did they go? (Answer)
- Why were Miss Martian, Superboy and the Justice League not included in the ruse of Aqualad's defection and Artemis's death? (Answer)
- Why did Black Manta want to destroy the Earth-Mars communications satellite?
- ↑ Harvey, James (2012-06-01). "Young Justice," "Green Lantern: The Animated Series" Episode Schedule For June 2012. World's Finest Online. Retrieved 2012-06-01.
- ↑ Bryan (2013-02-05). Did #SaveYJandGLTAS Campaign Help "Young Justice" Score Season High Ratings?. Nick and More. Retrieved 2013-02-05.
| ◄ Previous|
| Season two|
| Next ►|