The Meta-Gene is a genetic marker in certain humans that allows them to endure catastrophic physical trauma by developing new abilities—i.e. superpowers. The Meta-Gene has attracted interest from the Kroloteans and the Reach. The latter have conducted experiments on both normal humans and humans with active Meta-Genes in order to isolate the Meta-Gene, so they could duplicate and weaponize Meta-Gene powers.
After debriefing the runaway abductees, Black Canary surmised what the Meta-Gene was and what the Reach intended to do with it. Eduardo Dorado Sr. has speculated that the Meta-Gene is opportunistic in nature, taking advantage of pre-existing factors in a person's system. He based this theory on the fact that his son gained teleportation powers after Dorado Sr. spent decades working on Zeta-Beam technology.
Blood relatives with the Meta-Gene are likely to develop similar powers.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Hopps, Kevin (writer) & Divar, Tim (director) (Originally released on iTunes on October 14, 2012, broadcast on January 5, 2013). "Before the Dawn". Young Justice. Season 2. Episode 10. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ David, Peter (writer) & Zwyer, Mel (director) (June 2, 2012). "Bloodlines". Young Justice. Season 2. Episode 6. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Dubuc, Nicole (writer) & Murphy, Doug (director) (January 12, 2013). "Cornered". Young Justice. Season 2. Episode 11. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Hopps, Kevin (writer) & Murphy, Doug (director) (February 2, 2013). "Runaways". Young Justice. Season 2. Episode 14. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Weisman, Greg (writer) & Berkeley, Christopher (director) (January 4, 2019). "Princes All". Young Justice. Season 3. Episode 1. DC Universe.
- ↑ Fialkov, Joshua Hale (writer) & Hueck, Vinton (director) (January 11, 2019). "Rescue Op". Young Justice. Season 3. Episode 6. DC Universe.